Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What Educators Wish Every Parent Understood About Us...

I have become such a fan of Ron Clark because he truly wants what is best for kids and will do anything to make it happen! I love how blunt he is with students and parents about life's lessons! We are currently implementing Clark's "Essential 55" in my school to teach kids how to be successful not only in school, but in life. As an educator I have found that no matter what the population of students you work with, they can all use a lesson on manners and how to operate in our society. I have already noticed the impact of explicitly teaching these life's lessons on my campus after only focusing on the first three!
One of my parents sent me an article written by Ron Clark that was found on CNN's website entitled, "What Teachers Really Want to Tell Parents". The following is an excerpt that I particularly agree with:
" We are educated professionals who work with kids every day and often see your child in a different light than you do. If we give you advice, don't fight it. Take it, and digest it in the same way you would consider advice from a doctor or lawyer. I have become used to some parents who just don't want to hear anything negative about their child, but sometimes if you're willing to take early warning advice to heart, it can help you head off an issue that could become much greater in the future.
Trust us. At times when I tell parents that their child has been a behavior problem, I can almost see the hairs rise on their backs. They are ready to fight and defend their child, and it is exhausting. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I tell a mom something her son did and she turns, looks at him and asks, "Is that true?" Well, of course it's true. I just told you. And please don't ask whether a classmate can confirm what happened or whether another teacher might have been present. It only demeans teachers and weakens the partnership between teacher and parent."
AMEN to that! I don't know what it is about education the makes people think they know a better way of doing things than we, the professionals, do. I think sometimes people think that because they went to school they know how to teach everything or know how to run one. I trust all of the professionals in my school to do what's best for our children on a daily basis. I wish parents and community members had that same level of respect for the profession and trust in what we know is best for their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment